Sunday, March 25, 2012

Cake Decorating Part II

Not going to lie, this whole cake decorating class is a lot more work than I had anticipated. I'm glad that it is only four weeks and I'm already going into my final class tomorrow night. For week three we had to make cupcakes and bring a half dozen in to decorate. Having learned my lesson from the week before I went with a simple yellow cake box mix for my cupcakes, I wasn't getting fancy again after my first week and having to make two cakes.

The cupcake part was the easy part, you also had to make another batch of the "home decorating icing" (this is what you ice the cake or cupcakes with) but then also a batch of the "medium consistency icing" or whatever it was called. This is the icing you use to make all your decorations out of. But then you also had to take the medium icing and make 6 different colors out of it and have those all prepared and mixed. When I got to class, the first part of the class was then spent loading up the bags with the prepared icing colors, that takes a while in itself, and then we had to practice learning the different types of flowers.

My biggest take away for the night was that I finally learned what tip you need to just ice the cupcakes so they look pretty, if I learn nothing else from this class that I use again that will be it!
After that it was on to making the three different types of flowers, one was like a rose, one was called a shaggy mum that much I remember and one other, that the name is escaping me. The one looked like spaghetti. They weren't overly difficult to make. This week I was ready to go, no huge shamrock holding me back this time and so it didn't take me two years to decorate my cupcakes unlike my shamrock the week before. They didn't come out too bad, they looked pretty, although my picture of them doesn't, I was in a rush to leave for work when I broke out the camera to snap them before I left, but you get the idea. I was told they tasted good though!

No comments:

Post a Comment