Friday, November 9, 2012

Book Review - Insurgent

What do you do when there's no power and nothing to do? Read! Not that I don't read when there is power, lights, tv and internet but since there really was nothing else to do I just read and read. This was my first book of the power outage. I had just finished divergent the week before and as soon as I finished I did download the second part of the trilogy (the third won't be available until next year). I did have the strong desire to see what happened next in the series. I actually couldn't sleep the night of the hurricane, totally unrelated to the storm, I think it was the wine that I had, it makes me not sleep well sometimes. I was up half the night and just read most of the story...

Book Title: Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Book Summary (From Amazon): One choice can transform you—or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable—and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.

Book Review: I have mixed feelings on this book. Again I did enjoy it and had no problem getting through the material. I wanted to keep reading to see what happened. I just don't think it was as good as it could have been. I think it likely suffers from the second book slump. Let's face it most of the trilogy's I've read or even the movies they're never as good as the first or third books or movies. It was a lot of filler material again at 500 pages. Do I regret reading it, no? Would I read it again and still recommend it, probably, I did like it, I just wouldn't say that I absolutely loved it and would rush out to read it again.

I still felt like a lot of details were left out about the society. Yes some things did come to light finally and started to fill in the gaps, which I did certainly appreciate, but I think there could be more. I am hoping that the third book will tie everything together and wrap it all up. I don't want to divulge too much with my review, although quite honestly I don't even know that there was a whole lot that even happened to give away in a review for the majority of the book. In the end I still feel it was worth the read, it's an easy book to get through. I'll be interested to see how the author pulls it all together in the third installment next year, before they make it into a movie, because you know they are cashing in on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment