This was another book club book that I might not have picked up. I'd heard of the title before but knew absolutely nothing about it and the book synopsis didn't really do much to reel me in either. It's another dystopian, post apocalyptic story about a 16 year old girl. Sound familiar? That's because it's got such a similar storyline to that of Hunger Games, I think the author was trying to cash in on the popularity of that trilogy but she did a pretty good job of recreating a storyline that pulls you right in. Of course they've already signed a movie deal for this trilogy to be made into a movie as well....
As for 'book club' itself we had another fabulous time, almost too much fun. We went to this tiny little BYOB restaurant in Ridgewood. It was pretty empty and I think we brought the entertainment the entire restaurant. We had so much fun, although could have been the extra wine we had this month. There was this one woman that was right behind us and started bad mouthing people in HR, me and one of the other girls heard this and burst out laughing, it was too funny what she was saying about HR. I think though it was one of those moments you had to be there for and was funny to us. I tried to explain it to Mike when I got home but he wasn't seeing the humor in my explanation.
Book Title: Divergent by Veronica Roth
Book Summary (From Amazon): In Beatrice Prior’s dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can’t have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.
During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.
Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the YA scene with the first book in the Divergent series—dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance.
Book Review: Overall I loved this book, considering it was over 500 pages, it def didn't feel like it and went by so quickly. The chapters were also short so it was easy to want to keep reading to see what happened next. As much as I loved the book, I do have a couple of qualms about the storyline. I think what I loved most was the character. It was easy to get pulled into the main character, Tris's story, and want to keep rooting for her. However what I didn't like about the book was the lack of information about the underlying society and why things are the way they are. I felt like a lot of information was left out of that part of the equation. From a purely character point I loved the book, I loved seeing Tris and her struggle to get through as well as how some of her relationships develop.
As soon as I finished the book I already downloaded the second part, Insurgent, to see where the story picks up. These are the first two books in the planned trilogy. The bad part is that the third book has yet to be written, so I will be waiting almost a year for the story to conclude. I am hoping that the second book fills in some more gaps regarding the society and gives more information to pull it all together. In any case I've enjoyed the character aspect of the books and will continue to read them. I found it to be highly entertaining and I think there can/hopefully be even more to the trilogy.

No comments:
Post a Comment