Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Craving Steak....

I'm not a huge steak person, sure I eat it on occasion, but nothing on a regular basis. My Mother-in-Law makes a fantastic flank steak that I would never pass up, but I seldom say "let me buy a steak for dinner." However on this particular day I was craving steak for some reason. I've heard they say if you are craving steak it is your body's way of telling you that you need more iron. And I don't really eat a ton of red meat so I could understand that if it were true. Therefore I set out to make a steak for dinner. My craving could have also been inspired by seeing this recipe and thinking it looked good and I should try it, in either case I'm glad that I did.

One this is ridiculously simple recipe to make, and two it is also just as equally easy to clean up since everything literally goes on one pan in the oven and poof its done (aside from the sauce). All you have to do is cut up some peppers and season the steak. It really couldn't get any easier than that. And I am happy to say the end result was fantastic, Mike loved it as well.

I think my favorite part of it had to be the sauce that you use on the steak, it was delicious. I never really experimented much with green salsa, but it was fantastic. As a note, when I was buying the green salsa, on the aisle where all the mexican food is it was kind of expensive, when I went over to the Goya section though there was a cheaper and larger bottle, score for that! I am already planning to use the leftover green salsa to make these Baked Chicken Taquitos I saw and I can't wait to make this ridiculously easy steak again!

Broiled Steak and Peppers with Easy Spicy Green Sauce
Source & Photo: Weight Watchers Recipe (4 pt +)

3 spray(s) cooking spray
12 oz uncooked lean flank steak
2 medium yellow pepper(s), quartered, seeded
1 medium poblano chile, quartered, seeded
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano, crumbled
1/2 tsp table salt
1 cup(s) cilantro, leaves
3/4 cup(s) fat free salsa, green (tomatillo or green chile salsa)  
2 Tbsp reduced-fat sour cream

Preheat broiler. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with nonstick foil, or line with regular foil and coat with cooking spray (or just coat with cooking spray, if you prefer). Place steak and peppers on prepared pan; coat with cooking spray.In a small cup, combine cumin, oregano and salt; sprinkle on both sides of steak and peppers.

Broil 3 to 4 inches from heat, turning peppers and steak halfway through cooking, about 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare, or longer until desired degree of doneness. Remove steak to a cutting board; let stand 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, put cilantro, salsa and sour cream in blender or food processor; process until smooth.
Slice steak thinly across the grain. Put steak and peppers on a serving platter and serve with salsa mixture. Yields about 2 1/2 ounces steak, 3 pieces pepper and 1/4 cup salsa mixture per serving.

1 comment:

  1. If I ate steak I would make this. Perhaps for The Mister as a surprise?

    ReplyDelete