The recipe itself was quite simple to make. Overall I don't think either one of us would rave about it or I'd put it in the make again pile. It was ok, at least Mike ate it which is a bonus, the other night I made pasta primavera he wouldn't even try it. I thought I would enjoy the slaw part more, while it was extremely healthy and packed with tons of fruit and vegetable with little to no fat or calories, maybe it was missing something. I think going forward I am going to stick with some common recipes for a little while and work on improving my skills with them, things like chicken piccata, francese, or marsala. In any case here's the recipe I tried tonight:
Pork Chops with Warm Apple Slaw
Source: Apple a Day (*photo also by Apple a Day)
Source: Apple a Day (*photo also by Apple a Day)
adapted from Ellie Krieger, The Food You Crave
Ingredients:
4 tsp. chopped fresh sage or 1 1/2 tsp. dried
2large cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. salt, divided
freshly-ground black pepper
4 bone-in pork loin chops (about 8 oz)
1 large red onion
2 medium Granny Smith apples, cored
1 bag slaw mix OR
1/2 head green cabbage, cored
3 large carrots, shredded
2 tsp. olive oil, divided
1/4 c. cider vinegar
3/4 c. low-sodium chicken broth
Directions:
- Combine three tsp. fresh sage or or 1 tsp. dried, garlic, a half tsp. of salt, and pepper. Rub into the pork chops and let sit at room temperature for ten minutes.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the onion, apple and cabbage (if necessary). Shred or julienne the carrots.
- Heat one tsp. of the oil in a large nonstick saute pan until hot but not smoking. Add the chops and brown on both sides, one to two minutes per side. Remove and set aside.
- Heat the remaining teaspoon oil over moderate heat and add the onion, apples, and remaining sage. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is soft and golden brown, four to five minutes.
- Add the cabbage, carrots, vinegar and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt. Cook until the cabbage and carrots begin to soften, about five minutes. Add the broth and return the pork chops to the pan burying them in the vegetable mixture. Cover and cook five to seven minutes longer.
- To serve, arrange the warm slaw on individual plates and top with a pork chop and pan juices.

Hi Rachel!
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, I want to thank you for reading my blog. I'm so glad you trusted it enough to try a recipe from it. I'm sorry you didn't love it.
I noticed you've used my picture without crediting me. I would really appreciate it if you could give photo credit to me. Perhaps instead of just saying you found the recipe on a blog, you could mention the name of my blog and say it's where you got the photo. I absolutely appreciate the link you do have included, but I think blog etiquette suggests you name the blog.
Thank you so much and keep on cooking!
Thanks Kelsey. I apologize for not having previously done that. I am 'somewhat new' to the blogging community (recipe related I should say) and wasn't familiar with the proper way to site things. I've updated it with the source and link to your blog, including your picture, which I thought was great, I appreciate the feedback and please let me know if there is anything else I should include for the future. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
ReplyDelete