Last night for dinner I made a delicious Chicken Pot Pie. I got an "it's good for something I don't like from Mike" out of it and he did have a second piece. Of course he had already made himself a sandwich while my dinner was cooking and while it was in the oven I ran out to the supermarket quick to get more milk and came home to find him munching on snacks when I got back 20 minutes later. As I was taking it out of the oven he also tells me, "I don't like chicken pot pie." I don't know how I am going to cook for this boy besides making him spaghetti and chicken nuggets.... Anyway I really enjoyed the recipe, I thought it was delicious, super easy to make, and even better it was low fat. With a million different versions of chicken pot pie out there I was extremely happy with the end results of this one and I absolutely plan to mak it again.
A couple of notes, I used a mixed bag of frozen vegetables, instead of fresh carrots and green peas, the bag I used also had corn in it. I also didn't have (nor know what) herbes de provence was so I omitted that. And for the biscuits I used Pillsbury crescent rounds which worked out awesome. I laid them out flat over the top of the pie and it made a delicious flaky crust.
Chicken Pot Pie
From Belle of the Kitchen
Source: Prevention RD Blog
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup peeled carrots, sliced (about 2 medium carrots)
1 cup frozen green peas
2 cups new potatoes, cubed
1/2 cup celery, diced (about 2 stalks)
1/2 medium sweet onion, diced
3 Tbsp 50/50 Smart Balance Butter Blend
1/3 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/2 tsp herbes de provence
1/2 cup low-fat milk
8 raw buttermilk biscuits (such as Pillsbury)
Directions:
In a large saucepan, combine the chicken, broth, carrots, peas and potatoes. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, then reduce the heat to medium low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the chicken to a cutting board to cool. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to a deep dish pie pan. Reserve the chicken broth in a measuring cup or small bowl. Cut the chicken into 1/2 inch cubes and transfer it to the pie pan.
Using the same saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Saute the onions and celery for five minutes. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, herbes de provence; cook for one minute. Add the milk and reserved stock and cook for 3-4 minutes, until thick. Pour the sauce over the chicken mixture in the pie pan, spreading to reach the edges.
Preheat the oven to 425° F. Top the pie with biscuits which have been flattened out and arrange the biscuits over the top of the pie. Place a piece of foil under the pie to catch any drips. Bake for 35 minutes, then cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serves 6.
Nutrition Information (per serving): 476 calories; 16.2 g. fat; 46 mg. cholesterol; 929 mg. sodium; 55.5 g. carbohydrate; 3 g. fiber; 26 g. protein



No comments:
Post a Comment