The tradition started on our trip to Europe when I was in middle school, maybe going into high school, let's just say for arguments sake when I was around 13 or 14. On our trip, my Dad took my brother and I around Paris for the day, I'm pretty sure at the time we didn't want to go with my Mom to the museums or churches (wherever she was going, I can't remember all the specifics). But my Dad took us around Paris for the day, he took us to the famous cemetery in Paris where Jim Morrison was buried, and I'm not quite sure where else but we went to the Hard Rock Cafe and I got a pin while we were there.
That was where the collection started, every trip after then I'd ask my Dad to take me to the Hard Rock where we were going to get a new pin. It was a great way to get a small simple souvenir from the places we visited. Of course not every city or country has one, but I have to say for the most part, most of the trips I've been on they've had a hard rock cafe there. It's been so much fun collecting them throughout the years, I've already amassed quite a collection. My Dad had helped me put them all on a cork board so I could display them but last year for Christmas my in-laws bought me the official pin case so now I can display them proudly in a larger, and nicer case.
It's been such a fun thing to collect, and now it has turned into "our" collection. Whenever Mike goes on a trip without me, he always tries to bring me home a pin, and those are memories of his trips as well. I now have over 50 pins, although a few are repeats of the same city but it's fun to remember each trip. Here's the list of cities that I have pins from
The old school pins I collected throughout my childhood that my Dad helped me "saw off the back of the pin" so I could glue them down flat on my board. Now they make nice push pin ones, much better for collecting
Childhood Pins
- Fort Lauderdale
- Key West (x2)
- London
- New York
- Boston (x2)
- St. Thomas
- Washington, DC
- Myrtle Beach
- Newport Beach
- Orlando (x2)
- Paris (x2)
- Miami
- Los Angeles
- San Francisco
- Hollywood
- Las Vegas
- Atlantic City
- Aspen
- **Toronto Skydome
- **Edmonton
- **Hong Kong
Pins that Mike & I have gotten together
- Maui
- Honolulu
- *London
- *Paris
- *New York
- *Hollywood, Florida
- *San Francisco
- *Miami
- *Nassau, Bahamas
- Yankee Stadium
Pins that Mike has gotten for the collection
- Houston
- Toronto
- New Orleans
- Dublin
My continued collection of pins (nice new push pin ones)
- Rome
- Barcelona
- Munich
- Cozumel
- *St. Thomas
- *Nassau, Bahamas
- Baltimore
- Nashville
- *Hollywood, Florida
- Couture Pins (x2)
*Duplicate entires of cities
** Were given to me as gifts from people that knew I collected them
No comments:
Post a Comment