Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Grown Up Hamburger Helper

Growing up we ate a lot of Hamburger Helper, not because my mom wasn't a good cook but because we were picky eaters and I'm sure between shuttling us around all over the place there wasn't always time for a complicated recipe that we might not eat. Matthew and I always loved our hamburger helper anyway. Once I made this recipe I knew right away this was something my Dad and my brother would love to eat. It was like a grown up but only better homemade hamburger helper type recipe, only minus the processed cheese and artificial ingredients. And the fact that it was so easy to make and everything cooked in one pan, including the pasta, made this a huge win. I would def make this for my Dad and brother, I know they'd love it as much as I did!

Cheesy Chili Mac 
Source & Photo By: The Jey of Cooking

1 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
1 Onion, minced
1 Tbsp. Chili Powder
1 Tbsp. Cumin
1/2 tsp. Salt
4 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
1 Lb. Ground Beef
2 Cups Water
1 15 oz. Can Tomato Sauce
2 Cups. Pasta
1 15 oz. Can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz. Can Diced Tomatoes, drained
4 oz. Cream Cheese, softened (I used fat free)
2 Cups Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend
1/4 Cup Cilantro, chopped

Heat a 12 inch skillet over medium and add the oil.  Heat until shimmering.  Add the onion, chili powder, cumin and salt to the pan.  Cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft, about 5-7 minutes.  Add the garlic and brown sugar and cook an additional 1 minute.  Add the ground beef and cook through. Stir in the water and tomato sauce then add the pasta and stir again.  Cover and increase heat to medium-high.  Cook until al dente, about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add the tomatoes and black beans, then the cream cheese and stir until the cream cheese is incorporated. Remove the pan from the heat and add 1 cup of cheese.  Stir until combined.  Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top and cover.  Let stand for 2 minutes, until the cheese has melted.   Top with cilantro and garnish with sour cream, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment