Saturday, September 5, 2009

I said YES

Just when I had started to get a bit discouraged about finding the perfect dress, I found it!!! After trying on probably at least 50 dresses, I finally found MY dress. I shopped at everywhere from Kleinfelds to David's Bridal to dress salons on Long Island and New Jersey to find my special dress. I knew exactly what I was looking for and had the perfect picture stuck in my head. I found some great dresses along the way and of course the ones I knew right away weren't for me.

While it was great trying on all the beautiful gowns and so many of them looked great, they just weren't my gown, which was hard to reject such beautiful gowns for no reason other than 'not it.' There were some very pretty fitted lace dresses that I tried on but they weren't for me. There were some dresses with a lot of embellishment on the top and the train but also wasn't me.

As soon as I tried on the gown I knew it was for me. It was perfect, simple, classic & elegant. It is not overstated or overdone, one might even say it is somewhat simple, but in this case I think the statement less is more applies. The hardest part was imagining it with the changes I wanted made. The dress I tried on was a halter although she pined that down pretty well. So the top will be changed to a strapless with a slight curvature, I don't need too much there. I didn't want a deep sweetheart. I am also going to add on beading underneath the breast area and then I am potentially thinking of doing a balloon hem on the bottom but that will be decided during the alteration process.

With those changes it will be everything I was looking for! I absolutely love the material, I knew I wanted satin from the moment I tried on the first dress. And I really love the back of the dress. I keep thinking of how it will look walking down the aisle and up on the alter. Plus it will look great bustled up for dancing. I'm def doing a french bustle (so it will show off the beautiful bead work on the back of the dress).

The worst part of the day was that my mom couldn't be there for picking the dress. She tried to get to NJ but getting there from LI is no small feat = obscene amounts of traffic. I was lucky that my future Mother-in-Law came with me and was wonderful. So I will just have to go back with mom to show her my choice. I'm very excited with my choice and can't wait to go back and see it again - and I especially can't wait to wear it on our wedding day :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment