Friday, February 24, 2012

Sweet Treats for Superbowl

Even though we don't host Superbowl at our house I still spent several hours in the kitchen preparing for the big event, after all the food is almost as important as the game itself. For the past couple years we've headed over to our friends Mike and Sarah's house to watch the game, although this year's game was particularly important since it was Mike's favorite team, the NY Giants, in it. Also being back on the Weight Watchers wagon I wanted to make sure I was prepared with some healthy options to snack on so I wasn't tempted by all the fattening stuff. I probably made a lot more than I needed to but I didn't mind, I ended up deciding to bring a veggie plate with dip, baked mozzarella sticks (by Skinny Taste), Weight Watchers crispy chipotle potato skins, and not on the healthy side Almond Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies. The mozzarella sticks and potato skins turned out really good, although of course I ended up eating WAY too much since there was so much other good food there.

The cookies were solely inspired by the fact that I had half of a jar of almond butter and I didn't really like it so I decided to bake with it instead to use it up. This was also excuse to use my brand new Kitchen Aid mixer for the first time, and it was amazing, I can't believe how easy it made baking. I really need to break that bad boy out again and bake some more with it! The cookies must've turned out pretty well because even the two "pretty" cookies I put on the side were eaten by Mike before I could take a picture of them. Next time though I really want to make these ones instead, a Chewy Coconut Chocolate Almond Butter cookies, I think those would be even better!!!

Almond Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Source: A Spicy Perspective

2 ½ cups flour
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¾ tsp. salt
½ lb. butter (2 sticks)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1 cup creamy almond butter
2 eggs
1 Tb. vanilla
1 cup chopped almond ( or sliced almonds)
1 – 4 oz. bar of chocolate, chopped
Sea salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Cream the butter, almond butter and sugars together in an electric mixer. Beat well. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until combined. *Add a little more flour, if the brand of almond butter you buy is runny. Slowly mix the flour mixture in with the butter mixture. Mix in the almonds and chocolate. Roll the dough into 2 tablespoon sized balls. Lay them on parchment paper-lined baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Press the tops of the dough balls with the bottom of a drinking glass dipped in flour or sugar. Sprinkle the tops with a little sea salt. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for several minutes before moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment