A can of Cuban style black beans at Trader Joe's. I planned an entire meal around a can of beans! I love Cuban food, although I don't have it too often, it's def a treat I look forward to on occasion. My love of Cuban food all started with a place in Manhattan, Havana Central. They have the most amazing Cuban food, and drinks, and it's just a fun atmosphere. It's more fun with a group of people, I went a few times with a bunch of girls and we had a blast, you def need a few people to help you drink their delicious pitchers of sangria (or you could have a mojito if you prefer, but I'm a sangria girl all the way). Starting off with their delicious homemade empanada's to their Cuban corn on the cob, all of the appetizers are a fun way to start your meal. For me though, I love their ropa vieja for dinner. This is one of those places were why try something different when this one is so good.Anyway, going back to my can of black beans, I wanted to try and make ropa vieja with it. I also knew it was something you could easily make in the crockpot. I thought this was the perfect excuse to break out the crockpot, and who doesn't love the smell of a delicious dinner permiating the house all day long, plus the crockpot was sure to make the beef extra tender and easy to shred which is essential to this meal.
I'm happy to report that it turned out delicious, and even reminded me of the one I have at Havana Central. Mike even commented without having to ask him how it was, that he really enjoyed it, which means a lot coming from him and he had seconds. I would absolutely make this recipe again. The key is def the flank steak, although it's a bit pricey it's def worth it.
Crockpot Cuban Ropa Vieja
Source: All RecipesIngredients
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 pounds beef flank steak
1 cup beef broth
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 small onion, sliced
1 green bell pepper
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon white vinegar
Directions
Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat (I browned mine in my dutch oven). Brown the flank steak on each side, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer beef to a slow cooker. Pour in the beef broth and tomato sauce, then add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, tomato paste, cumin, cilantro, olive oil and vinegar. Stir until well blended. Cover, and cook on High for 4 hours, or on Low for up to 10 hours. When ready to serve, shred meat and serve with tortillas or rice... and your favorite can of Trader Joe's cuban style black beans ;-)
This sounds delicious. I went to a Trader Joe's with my son when I was in Philadelphia, I loved finally seeing all the great things that they had. It as a really small store in the city, I hope someday to get to a bigger one, or even better, if one opened up closer to me.
ReplyDeleteThanks Patti! It was really good. Trader Joe's is an amazing store. I hope one opens up near you too, I'm sure you would enjoy it!! It's hard not to :-)
ReplyDelete