I am so excited about all the restaurants and new foods we'll have the opportunity to try while we're on our honeymoon in Hawaii. I've already picked out a few restaurants that I want to try while we're there but then the even harder part is going to be picking out what to have for dinner! I am loving looking up all these great restaurants and drooling about all the delicious choices to pick from. I've been also intrigued about all the great local dishes and favorite foods native to the islands of Hawaii. So of course there's all the typical foods that people think of like coconuts (I think I'll even try coconut milk with a straw in the coconut - I do love mounds bars, I mean coconuts). And things like fish and even more Hawaiian, pineapples.
I might not be into eatting all of the local dishes, such as things like "poi" which is the traditional Hawaiian staple, is a starch dish made by pounding boiled taro roots and mixing with water until it reaches a smooth consistency. "Taro is one of the most nutritious starches on the planet." One of the things I can tell you that I know I will definately be having a lot of is shave ice!
One of the recommended restaurants on Oahu to get a taste of the islands is called Ono Hawaii Foods. This seems like a great - and inexpensive - way to get a real taste of all the local favorites. "When in Hawaii a taste of Hawaiian food is a must and for that special taste we recommend Ono Hawaiian Foods. This restaurant was recognized in 1998 as one of America's Top Restaurants and was rated "Excellent" as reviewed by their valued patrons in the Zagat Survey. On the menu you will find a wide range of Hawaiian food items ranging from the Kalua Pig Plate to the Chicken Long Rice Plate. Kalua Pig is juicy and tender shredded pork smoked Hawaiian style. This dish is cooked in an underground oven called the imu with hot rocks and banana leaves. The Kalua Pig is the highlight of any luau. Chicken Long Rice is a Cantonese contribution originated by the first Chinese immigrants to Hawaii. It has become a popular staple to luaus. I like to think of it as comfort food. The blending flavors of the chicken, its broth, ginger and onion can relieve all the stress that you may be feeling."

No comments:
Post a Comment