Monday, July 23, 2012

Book Review - Life from Scratch

Book Title: Life From Scratch by Melissa Ford 

Book Summary (from Amazon): Her life's a mess. And so is her kitchen. Divorced, heartbroken and living in a lonely New York apartment with a tiny kitchen, Rachel Goldman realizes she doesn't even know how to cook the simplest meal for herself. Can learning to fry an egg help her understand where her life went wrong? She dives into the culinary basics. Then she launches a blog to vent her misery about life, love and her goal of an unburnt casserole.To her amazement, the blog's a hit. She becomes a minor celebrity. Next, a sexy Spaniard enters her life. Will her souffles stop falling? Will she finally forget about the husband she still loves? And how can she explain to her readers that she still hasn't learned how to cook up a happy life from scratch?

Book Review:  I got this book as part of Amazon's daily deal when it was featured for only $1.99. I'm always a sucker for books on a good deal so naturally I bought it. It looked like it would be a cute, quick read. I will say I loved 95% of this book however I'm not going to lie I was a bit disappointed by the ending of the book. That being said I don't think I would totally rule out reading it since the rest of it was really good.

The main character, Rachel (another reason that I bought the book as well) starts her own cooking blog after she gets divorced and is determined to learn to cook while she spends her year following the divorce on 'sabbatical.' As a blogger myself I found the book to be really enjoyable. Each chapter of the book starts with her writing a blog post which I thought was really cute. And while the book is entirely fictional it really felt real. I was on board with the character discovering herself throughout the year as she learned to be newly single and dive back into the dating world. The end disappointed me a bit, without giving it away, I think it detracted from her new found freedom and her being a strong independent woman. 


The author seemed to have left the end of the book open to lead to another book, which if it were featured for the same price I think I would read it. Overall I enjoyed the story line of the book, and how the blog was infused into it, I think it was a fun quick read. If Rachel did have a real cooking blog, I would definitely read that too! The author herself does have an actual blog, which I'm sure provided some of her inspiration. 

No comments:

Post a Comment